Monday, July 18, 2022

General RPGs Need a Run Button

This is not the most controversial opinion I have possessed.  As hot takes go, this one’s temperature is clocking in somewhere between Cocytus, and fans’ reception to Suikoden 4.  It’s basically common sense.  Nonetheless, it’s worth being said: RPGs should pretty much always give players the option to run.

And most of them do!  This isn’t usually a problem; the run feature was figured out and widely adopted back in the 16-bit era, and by the time the 32-bit era rolled around, it was basically standard.  And thank goodness for that; can you imagine the mundane frustration of navigating a Playstation 1 Final Fantasy from start to finish at walking speed?  Squall walks to a destination like he’s read ahead in the script and knows exactly how stupid the next thing that’s gonna happen to him is.

But there are still a few RPGs even nowadays that don’t program a feature to allow players to run, and that really just shouldn’t be the case.  And weirdly, they seem to be RPGs that are actually really good.  Like, the first ones that come to mind for me are Undertale and Rakuen.  Undertale is a cornerstone of the genre which has influenced what RPGs are and can be going forward, and Rakuen is an emotional titan whose story and message still sometimes make me cry a little just to remember.  Each is virtually flawless...except for the fact that actually playing through them is kind of annoying, because the plodding pace of the protagonist can’t be increased in any way.*

I mean, it’s not that big a deal for most of Undertale, since you’re frequently stopping to check details of your environs as you move forward, but there’s plenty of moments in the game where you’ll want to backtrack, particularly if you love the characters as much as you’re meant to (and Toby Fox is good at his job, so you will) and want to see all their dialogue changes as the game progresses.  And Rakuen really, really needs a running feature, because unlike Undertale, a large portion of progressing from beginning to end involves going through areas multiple times as new paths and possibilities open up, so the start-and-stop novelty of exploring new surroundings that Undertale benefits from isn’t something that Rakuen can likewise rely upon.

And sure, you can make a defense of Rakuen based on the fact that its protagonist is a kid who’s sick in the hospital.  It’s thus quite plot-consistent that he wouldn’t be sprinting through the halls faster than Elon Musk toward a way to embarrass himself.  Still, I gotta tell you: shortly after I started playing Rakuen, I downloaded a mod for it that added a run button, and I don’t think that saving myself a cumulative couple hours of my life on the commute from 1 plot event to another ever lessened my immersion in the game or made the main character’s situation any less meaningful to me.  I certainly don’t think my tear ducts’ output was lessened whatsoever at the appropriately moving parts of the game for the fact that I’d had a more convenient time in arriving at them.

Also, this should probably go without saying, but in addition to having a running feature, RPGs should also always be made in a way that this feature is, well, functional.  The whole point is player convenience, after all, so having this feature be in itself inconvenient doesn’t really work.  We luckily don’t have to deal much with situations like Secret of Mana or Wild Arms 1 any more, where the ability to move faster meant being forced to go in a line so narrow and forbidding of detours that it could be considered practice for playing Final Fantasy 13.  But sprint meters and their kin are still a very real and annoying thing, and then there’s the thing where mouse-based RPGs force you to double-click your destination if you want the character to run there, because just a single click will mean them slowly walking instead.  Disco Elysium is 1 of the greatest games ever created, a work of such skill and brilliance that it feels humbling just to experience its majesty, but it sure makes you fucking work for the privilege of experiencing its excellence if you’re on the PC, because EVERY SINGLE TIME you want to go somewhere, you’ve gotta double-click that spot, person, thing, whatever.  The pace at which Harry moves toward a single-click implies that he’s drunk, exhausted, depressed, out of shape, and has been shot in both his legs--and only most of that can be true at any given time.  I can’t for the life of me conceive why ZA/UM decided to use Windows 95 as their inspiration for this particular part of their gameplay design, instead of just having running be the default movement speed and walking the one that’s selected with the less natural double-click.

And don’t even get me started on the PC Shadowrun titles’ approach to the run function.  That one probably just deserves its own admittedly short, but highly vitriolic rant.

It’s not even like giving the players a functional option for running really has to impact your work’s gameplay pace.  I mean, in total frankness, a lot of a run button’s convenience is entirely mental.  Like, take the examples I gave before of the Playstation 1 Final Fantasy titles.  As I mentioned, the regular walking function in them is stupidly slow, to be the point of being outright unfeasible.  The overall size of screens in Final Fantasy 9, for example, are, I think, basically designed with the assumption that the player is going to be running through them, not walking.  I’m relatively sure that if you compared the general size of most Final Fantasy 7 environments and the speed at which you can proceed through them while running, it’d probably be, functionally-speaking, very close to that of Undertale’s unchangeable walking pace.  So in effect, the run buttons in these Final Fantasies aren’t really any faster than the walking speed of a walking-only RPG that’s been fairly well-designed.  You can still design your game to be traversed at the pace you prefer either way--but having a run button is a lot more psychologically pleasing to the player, even if the result winds up being the exact same.  And unlike just about everything else related to human psychology being employed in the gaming industry these days, this placebo of travel autonomy is harmless.

Also, in cases where the lack of a run button is felt most annoyingly during backtracking, as it is with Undertale, you can always use an alternative method like Tales of Berseria’s geoboard.  The geoboard in ToB is basically just a hoverboard that goes a little faster than the normal running pace of the protagonist, which of course makes it very convenient (as does its ability to just smash through enemies that are a level lower enough than your own, something which you all know I like a lot).  But even once you gain the geoboard during the course of ToB’s story, it’s not something that you can automatically use--each area of the game has a spot at which you can activate the feature, and only after reaching this spot can you use the geoboard in that dungeon.  In practice, this usually means that you’ll only be making use of the geoboard’s extra speed once you’re near or at the end of any given dungeon.  But while that’s an unfortunate downside in Tales of Berseria, whose regular run speed does leave something to be desired,** a similar system of awarding run functionality for backtracking purposes would’ve been a hell of a useful feature in Undertale, while still allowing for the existing controlled pace of only being able to walk through new territory.

Like I said before, this isn’t a problem for 90% of the RPGs coming out these days.  Run functions are a standard feature built into the game for most developers at this point.  Still, there are some indie RPGs that, for whatever reason, don’t include it, and not every game that does have one utilizes it in a way that actually makes it convenient.  And while I adhere strictly to my policy that gameplay considerations do not affect an RPG’s quality and worth, even I have to admit that it’s hard not to resent a game that makes me feel like I’m wasting my time getting from Point A to Point B.  RPGs need run buttons.














* Well Rakuen also does have the flaw that it doesn’t have a non-vocal version of its main theme and I totally want one.  But that’s admittedly more a subjective thing.


** Yes Angel I heard your complaints the WHOLE time and am hereby publicly acknowledging their legitimacy; are you happy now?

9 comments:

  1. Speaking of gasmes that need to be sped up and far better designed in general, have you played Stargazer or Ultima 8? I told you they were the worst R.P.G.s outside of the Dragon Warrior and Might and Magic games, and trust me that this is not a statement I make lightly. They would make for hilarious rants, throw Wild Arms 4 off the worst game spot; Stargazer might throw Mass Effect 4 off the worst ending spot; and they could be used for a rant about the worst bugs. Stargazer has the most surreal, unique, horribly disruptive bugs. Bethesda and Obsidian's bugs may be worse and more detrimental to the games, but Stargazer's bugs are horrific in a distinct way, like comparing an extremely bad dream that causes a heart attack to a very bad D.M.T. trip with no long-term repercussions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have mentioned them, particularly Stargazer, before, yes. You're really quite fixated on my playing it, aren't you? Well, I'm already behind on my 2022 list, but if it means this much to you, I'll slot it into the games I play in 2023. I have high (low) expectations, though; this had better be all the nothing it's cracked up to be!

      Delete
    2. Okay so I had a little extra time to try it out and I gave Stargazer a shot and I honestly don't know if I can possibly force myself to play this thing to the end. It's...gonna be a long work in progress for me, at the very least.

      Delete
  2. Also, if we're going to have a run button, it needs to last longer than 3.6 seconds. I don't know if these devs are just catastrophically unfit, but I can't imagine an adventurer who can walk indefinitely or engage in all-out melee combat that can last several minutes without a breather but has trouble JOGGING. Lord of the Rings has three guys, one being a dwarf, running something like 135 miles over the course of four days. So I'm not sure what the classical source for this tradition of zombie cardio comes from.

    https://freeradical.me/2012/12/20/tolkiens-amazing-ultra-marathon-of-the-middle-earth/

    Walking being too damn slow is a problem. Walking being too slow and running being too fast compared to NPCs you have to walk with is another one. These should be immediately identifiable, and yet they insist on bothering me. I've mostly made my peace with it at this point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that shit is fucking dumb. I mentioned that in my old Sprint Meter rant, so I didn't repeat it here, but I wholeheartedly agree with you that it's absurd how quickly these superhuman god-killing protagonists get winded from joggin.

      Oh, yeah, I do hate that no-speed-is-quite-the-right-speed thing that RPGs do. I'm not even sure where it comes from; wouldn't it be more difficult to code an entirely separate movement speed for an NPC than it would be to just have them move at the same pace as the protagonist is already programmed to?

      Delete
  3. It doesn't seem like much of a problem these days. I remember being annoyed about it in Final Fantasy IV and VI (prior to getting the Sprint Shoes in the latter, at least) and slightly annoyed in Earthbound. Square realized their error in re-releases of the SNES Final Fantasy games, and I enjoyed the quadruple speed in the PS1 and GBA versions of Final Fantasy VI. In Earthbound, Ness seems like he moves just a bit slower than I'd like, but what's annoying are the half measures to move faster; you get a bicycle that solves the issue, but you can use it in essentially one area and never again, and there are also consumable items that speed up Ness, yet they don't last long and inventory space is quite limited.

    Still, I don't find it a serious issue in Earthbound, since the areas typically aren't that large. The size of environments can be the more pressing issue. I recall towns and such being much larger than they needed to be in Suikoden V, for example, so getting around could take a while despite the game having a run button.

    Anyway, I'll mention two Playstation examples that annoyed me with slow moving speeds. First is Parasite Eve, where Aya Brea just moves at a snail's pace, and that game does have a run button. The only problem is that Aya's running speed is equivalent to the walking speed of most RPG protagonists (I'd probably still be playing the game if I tried moving at her walking speed). The second game I want to mention is Lunar 2, which handles running in a bizarre manner. Inside towns, Hiro moves at a quick pace, but he walks at half the speed in dungeons, although he can sprint (at around the same speed he moves in towns) for a limited time (meaning it's more of a case of a sprint meter). I swear that Working Designs deliberately picked the most frustrating duration for Hiro's sprint, though. Enemies are visible in dungeons, and they charge at Hiro upon seeing him (at his sprinting speed but with unlimited stamina, of course), and it always seems like Hiro's sprint meter just barely falls short of being sufficient to avoid encounters.

    Anyway, those are mainly problems of the past. In current RPGs, the more typical issue is for the game to lack good quick travel options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Lunar 1 was the game wherein my disgust for sprint meters first began to develop.

      Delete
    2. I don't think Lunar 1 has a sprint meter in either the Sega CD or PS1 versions. That's part of why Lunar 2's sprint meter is so strange (wasn't in the previous game and isn't in most of the rest of the game).

      Secret of Mana is perhaps the oldest RPG I've played with a sprint meter, although I'm not sure the game entirely counts. You can run until you hit a wall or deliberately stop, so a meter doesn't stop you from running--the meter just prevents you from starting to run (or from attacking effectively, and I find the latter far more obnoxious).

      Delete
    3. Maybe I'm thinking of Lunar 2, then. It was 1 of them, and they were both subpar RPGs as a whole, so it's an easy mistake to make, I think.

      Didn't like it in SoM, either, and yeah, the fact that it was an action meter as a whole whose function accomplished only the exact opposite of cohesive action grated on me, too.

      Delete