Does the way that Nippon Ichi uses Prier in its classic multiverse strike anyone else as a bit weird?
I mean, think about it for a moment. Prier is the protagonist of La Pucelle: Tactics, a demon-hunting heroine who leads her companions on a journey to save the world in a pretty cut-and-dry RPG adventure. LPT moves forward with a recognizable momentum that from the start is clearly aiming for the typical good-conquers-evil the-day-is-saved conclusion that it arrives at. From start to finish, Prier is depicted as the heroine of the tale, and while I was extremely disappointed with the direction her promising character went in, there's never any arc or event in the game, at least that I can recall, in which the fact that Prier is a good guy is thrown into doubt. She starts her adventure, she follows it to its conclusion, the world is saved, the game is over and its story told. Simple, straightforward matter.
Well, almost. There WAS an optional, alternate ending to LPT in which, after defeating 100 demon overlords, Prier becomes one herself, due to, I dunno, overexposure to them or something. It's a very quick, concise little ending thing, barely more than, say, the numerous little fake-out endings of Nier: Automata, or accepting the dragon's offer to keep guarding the door to the demon world in Breath of Fire 2 rather than going in to permanently resolve the situation, or the various alternate endings to Chrono Trigger achieved by defeating Lavos earlier than intended. This matter of Prier becoming an Overlord is spontaneous, brings the main plot to a halt, and is presented as essentially a bad ending, albeit a secret one. It's pretty clearly just there as a gag.
…Except that the multiverse of Nippon Ichi treated this as the canon conclusion of Prier's story!
See, every time Prier shows up as a crossover guest event in the rest of Nippon Ichi's games, it's always as a demon Overlord. She's been a recruitable crossover easter egg character in like 4 of the main 5 Disgaea titles, and an optional boss in the odd Disgaea out, and every time, it's very distinctly been Overlord Prier, not Beat The Game Normally Prier that's shown up. Nippon Ichi's made sure there's no ambiguity about it, either; these little crossover events come with small scenes and interactions with Prier to set them up, and it's stated outright that Prier is famously known for being an exceptionally powerful demon overlord who's always eager for a fight against a strong opponent. If she's got dialogue during these appearances, it's terse and aggressive, focused almost exclusively on a desire to fight and destroy adequately strong opponents, which most certainly doesn't align with Prier's personality through the standard course of her adventure to its expected end. And it's consistent across the Disgaea series (which is essentially the backbone of the classic Nippon Ichi multiverse, mind you); there's no appearance of Prier in any game after her own that involves any non-demon version of her, at least not to my knowledge. From the moment La Pucelle: Tactics concludes, Nippon Ichi only utilizes Overlord Prier.
I mean, is that not just really peculiar? After going through the all the work of writing an entire, full adventure from start to finish, creating and developing (albeit poorly) the character of its protagonist, and having that game take its place as 1 of the company's formative, foundational RPGs that strongly defined all that would follow it--I'd argue, in fact, that LPT influenced Nippon Ichi's RPG heyday far more strongly than their first notable title, Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure, did--the company basically just decided to disregard the expected conclusion of Prier's adventure that the game presents to the player, and canonize the peculiar, out-of-nowhere joke bad ending, instead. The company actually went and invalidated the entire story of LPT, basically just packed it up and tossed it out on a whim!
That's crazy! I mean, how often do you see an RPG developer just up and outright say, "Bzzzt, WRONG ANSWER!" to their own game's established intended ending? I can think of a couple of times, but Shadow Hearts 2's canonizing SH1's lesser normal ending was a clever and tricky matter of retconning its own retcon to confirm SH1's best ending as canon after all, and Valkyrie Profile 2's complete slash-and-burn of the art and majesty of Valkyrie Profile 1's entire story was a horrible move that betrayed just how careless and incompetent SquareEnix is with their creations and writing (as if more evidence was needed). Shadow Hearts 2 had creative and artful strategy, while Valkyrie Profile 2 was a catastrophe created by feckless and ignorant morons--but smart or stupid, these were choices made with a storytelling goal in mind. By all appearances, Nippon Ichi torched Prier's story on a lark.
Oh, and they didn't drag their heels about it, either! They committed to this in Disgaea 1, the very next major RPG they created after La Pucelle: Tactics. That's strange in its own regard; the dust had barely settled on La Pucelle: Tactics's adventure before Disgaea turned it to, well, more dust. It's like they were in a hurry.
And this, all of this, is just how the situation stood before the rerelease, La Pucelle: Ragnarok, actually doubled down on Prier becoming an Overlord. Hell, "doubling" doesn't even begin to cover it; this is basically a 20x modifier being applied, here. The remake actually offered a 4-chapter alternate ending route in which Prier wrestles with the darkness in her heart, overcomes it, then wrestles with it again later, and is like 95% of the way to overcoming it again when suddenly she just gives up and goes with it. Prier becomes a demon, beats up all the good guys, stops the villain, Croix dies in her arms, and Prier is never seen again by her friends and family.
Yeah! Yeah, that's actually what fucking happened! Nippon Ichi took the joke bad ending they'd made canon, looked at it, and said, "Oh, no, wait, this won't do. What were we thinking? This, the canon conclusion of La Pucelle? Crazy! It's not nearly depressing enough." From the dialogue we get from Prier in Disgaea 5--hell, from the fact that there IS dialogue with her, really--it is quite clear that Nippon Ichi's mainline series considers this new, updated version of Prier becoming a demon lord, this incredible bummer that concludes the colorful, oft-comical tale of a brash, spunky girl with a heart of gold in naught but despair and loss and loneliness, is canon.
Nippon Ichi actually went to the trouble of drafting out a 4-part saga just to turn a joke bad ending into a legitimate tragedy. Adopting Demon Overlord Prier was no longer just a spur-of-the-moment joke that got out of hand, they deliberately went back to it and applied themselves to putting it on record. Sure, you can play out the game to the ending it was originally intended to have instead, go ahead, knock yourself out, but as far as Nippon Ichi's concerned, following the script of La Pucelle: Tactics as it was written is some wild made-up lunacy, hogwash, what-if speculation, fanfiction.
And yet, what's even weirder about this situation is how easy it is, ultimately, to just take in stride. I mean, if it were announced that the canon ending to Radiant Historia was actually 1 of the dead-end bad endings, I and anyone else who had enjoyed the game would be furious. Can you imagine how livid players would have been if Bioware had come out and revealed that the secret game over ending you can get if you sit and wait out the timer in the Arrival DLC was actually the official ending to Mass Effect 2? Or if they'd officialized the Dragon Age 1 DLC where you play as a Darkspawn and the good guys lose? Just think about the reaction the gaming public would have had in a crazy reality where there had never been any more Star Fox games past the first, because Nintendo had arbitrarily decided that the joke ending where Fox gets transported into and trapped within another dimension where he fights a giant slot machine and then just keeps flying forever out in space was actually the real way that Star Fox 1 had ended.
But Prier's story being cut off just so she can be a recurring superboss in Disgaea? The erasure of the final act of La Pucelle: Tactics's story, the sentence of a Bad End to its tale? Eh. I've always felt pretty indifferent, and it doesn't seem like it ever bothered all that many other players all that greatly. And even with the remake having expanded the joke Bad End into a full 4-Act drama, it still hasn't seemed, over the years, like it especially upset anyone. In fact, there was so little audience aversion to this matter that I didn't even KNOW that the remake had evolved the Demon Overlord ending; I found out about the new content via a comment on this very rant, went back, watched the new content, and then Frankensteined together some new paragraphs to account for the remake's stuff. So if this rant seems notably choppy and disjointed, it's definitely still mostly because I suck at writing, but this time it's also partly because of the new stuff being crammed in. But anyway, the point is, audiences had so little objection to Nippon Ichi canonizing a bad ending to La Pucelle that I went 17 years without even hearing enough discourse and scuttlebutt about it to clue me in that it had been renovated.
My guess is that it's just kind of a case of not much being lost by reducing Prier to nothing more than crossover fodder, nor even in suddenly ending her tale in tragedy. Like I said, LPT, and especially Prier's role in it, was a disappointment to me. The game's story was generic and uninspired, ultimately fixated on a love story that was thoroughly unconvincing and didn't really have anything to say. Early on in the game, Prier immediately seemed like she was going to be 1 of the most likable and fun protagonists I'd ever encountered at the time--but her potential and personality were completely neutered well before the Overlord joke ending had a chance to cut her development off. The plot demanded that Prier be diminished to a tiresome, lovesick idiot coward whose only thought, feeling, or character trait was having a spontaneous, completely inexplicable crush on Croix and trying to hide that fact for some reason--I've got more respect for that gutless emotional wimp Allen from Xenosaga than I do for in-game Prier--and the plot bent over backwards to fixate on this above anything else. Aside from the fact that Eclair was a likable character, does waving a hand and making Prier's established personality and the final quarter of La Pucelle: Tactics either disappear or warp into disaster, really ruin much of anything that was worth having? Heck, a fair bit of the updated story of Prier's descent to demonhood represented the first time in dozens of hours that she'd had a chance to be a character in her own respect rather than just a plot device for a shitty overbearing romance.* Even if the expanded Demon Overlord path led to a depressing end, it was kind of nice just to be reminded for a bit that Prier did in fact at 1 point possess a personality of her own.
I can't help but feel that the lack of outrage I've ever seen at Disgaea's reshaping of Prier's canon is a confirmation that most people just kind of feel the same as I do on the matter. Even among those I've known who did genuinely and bafflingly like La Pucelle: Tactics, I've never heard any serious complaint about Nippon Ichi's bizarre decision to essentially undo it for no particular reason.
It's still a really wild move when you think about it, though. La Pucelle: Tactics was 1 of Nippon Ichi's major works, a formative moment in its early days as it began to get its foothold as a big name of 2000s RPG developers, and the company just turned around as fast as they could to obliterate the original, expected story of its heroine and instead embrace a weird, Easter egg bad ending as its accepted canon. And then they stretched that out into a full-on bad ending, that they continued to wholeheartedly back instead of the main, originally intended, tonally consistent ending of the game. Truly weird to me.
* Very fitting, by the way, that the thing which tips the scales and gets Prier to give into the darkness in her heart is someone mentioning Croix and her getting all panicked about not being able to save him. 1 moment she's confident, heroic, cool Prier, then the next second she's distraught and insecure as she completely disregards the value of everyone else around her, all because Croix entered into the conversation. If that isn't just a perfect microcosm of 90% of what's wrong with La Pucelle, I don't know what else could be. Every bad turn really can be traced to this stupid crush of hers.
Featured Post
Scrapers Take Notice
I do NOT give consent, nor can I be considered to have ever consented, to allow any form of AI to be trained on what has been published here...
Saturday, August 8, 2026
La Pucelle Tactics's Prier's Strange Role in the Nippon Ichi Canon
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Haven't thought of Nippon Ichi for a while. I remember crying at the Disgaea anime adaptation, like... 15? years ago (I think the stuff with Laharl's mother got me), but I never played the games for any significant length of time. I should fix that one day.
ReplyDeleteI could understand a company doing this out of spite for someone who worked on a passion project there before leaving on bad terms with them, but I don't see any evidence that's the case here and it would be one heck of a long-lasting grudge if that was their intention.
The Steam page for "La Pucelle: Ragnarok" (apparently a remake or something of LPT) apparently has "tons of new content including the Overlord Prier scenario" so maybe they expanded that part in a way that makes more sense, or some part of that scenario was cut from the original.
If the Disgaea anime was a faithful adaptation, yeah, you cried at the stuff with Laharl's mother. I mean, you might've also cried at the ending, but it definitely happened with Laharl's mom. Goddamn that was emotionally powerful.
DeleteThanks for letting me know about the remake! I had somehow never realized that it added content to this Overlord Prier thing. I've gone and watched what it adds, and updated this rant to account for the scenario it adds. Funny thing is, it almost makes this all even weirder, because they didn't just stick to the out-of-pocket joke bad ending for their canon, they went all in on it. Thanks a lot for letting me know, though; I was working with incomplete information and this rant's better now for your comment!
I agree that this situation is definitely strange, although the lack of reactions to Priere as a demon overlord is not. Disgaea is a niche game, and La Pucelle Tactics is even more niche, and actually encountering Priere in Disgaea involves going through post-game content and grinding a fair amount. I can't imagine there are many people who both played La Pucelle Tactics (I never finished it) and fought Priere in any of the Disgaea games (I don't think I ever did, but I did beat the first two games). Asking "Who cares?" is a legitimate question here, as there aren't many people in a position to do so.
ReplyDeleteBesides that, the context in which Priere reappears is important. She shows up in goofy post-game battles that don't take themselves seriously, inviting players to do the same. I watched clips of her in Disgaea 1 and 2, and she doesn't even say anything in the scenes before and after the battles. If Priere showed up this way in a La Pucelle 2 that continues the story of the first game, that'd be one thing, but her appearances in Disgaea are more like Lenneth Valkyrie's in Star Ocean 3 and Radiata Stories, as a post-game boss fight strongly removed from the original (i.e., people certainly don't treat Star Ocean 3's Lenneth as having a canon relation to Valkyrie Profile). Priere is unusual for reappearing as a version of herself from a bad ending, although I imagine that's because Overlord Priere is a more appropriate boss to fight in the world of Disgaea. I don't think that many tend to view Priere in Disgaea as a canon continuation of La Pucelle Tactics, so the few people in a position to possibly get upset about this writing choice don't have any serious reasons to be angry.
I think you're underestimating Disgaea's popularity. I mean, almost every RPG series is a niche series, true, but within the genre, Disgaea was, in the 2000s, pretty well-known and largely liked. LPT is more niche, certainly, but it had enough of a player base to keep NI going long enough to hit their stride, and Prier's recurring appearances in the Disgaea series retroactively drove more players to experience her origins. Disgaea and LPT may not have been massively popular, but I don't think they were anywhere near as niche as you're making them out to be.
DeleteTrue, the cameo stuff in Disgaeas are not meant to be taken seriously, nor necessarily as canon. But this isn't a case of some one-off appearance for which there's also contradicting examples to contest it. Prier's shown up 5 times in a row in Disgaea as an Overlord, each time without any alternative version to suggest this is anything but the intended default. Even if the postgame events involving her can't be taken seriously, this IS still the undisputed default that Nippon Ichi is defaulting to every time. In lieu of any other version of her being significantly utilized after LPT, Overlord Prier is the only conclusion of La Pucelle that we have to work with.